BLACK AND WHITE PHOTOGRAPHY

Photography of New York by Dave Beckerman

New Gallery Template

9 October, 2008 (10:12)

spent yesterday working on this new gallery template.  I wanted to come up with something cleaner, and maybe easier to navigate.  This is still in the testing section, but let me know what you think in terms of design and especially whether the navigation is better or worse than my current gallery.

* * *

OKAY — FORGET THIS POST.  I HAVE A BETTER IDEA I’M WORKING ON.

***

I’ve put the new gallery template into production, and also changed the home page to match it.

« Might Sell LifePixel Rebel XT

ToDo List »

Comments

Comment from Elliot
Time: October 9, 2008, 1:39 pm

The arrows do funky things when I click on them in Firefox/Mac. There’s blinking, then a jerky movement (sometimes) one way or other.

Time: October 9, 2008, 2:22 pm

On PC with IE or Firefox the arrows brighten when you hover on them.

Comment from Stephen BRAY
Time: October 9, 2008, 3:46 pm

I am not sure? I quite like the old one, the image seems larger and it seems, somewhat, less fussy.

I guess designing this is a distraction from America’s current preoccupationsh?

Stephen

Time: October 9, 2008, 4:04 pm

Stephen, nothing can distract me other than tinkering with the site. I wasted a full day playing with this thing which ends up being more difficult to use than what I have already; and because of the iFrame is not particularly good for search engines.

Today - the market (where I have a little bit of money in a 401K) went down again. On the other hand, orders are good. And there is no reason to tinker with the galleries which is probably why I wasted a day with it.

Comment from Craig M. Nisnewitz
Time: October 9, 2008, 6:55 pm

I like the new gallery. Its easier to use.

Comment from Steve Rosenbach
Time: October 10, 2008, 1:56 am

Markets go down, markets go up, but a good photo is a good photo.

I rather liked your first “new test” layout, the one with the blue accents.

Comment from Stephen BRAY
Time: October 10, 2008, 10:12 am

The latest crack at the new gallery is very nice :-)

Comment from Elliot
Time: October 10, 2008, 11:15 am

Took over two minutes! (on both Windows and Mac)- to get to the page to load (10/10 11am EST). It didn’t correctly load either — the first two images never appear although the descriptions did appear… TWICE, once in blue, once in grey (ie Benches Snow, Central Park [blue] and Benches Snow, Central Park [grey] right below it).

“nothing can distract me other than tinkering with the site.”

Just as long as you recognize it as a distraction. :) My fave sites don’t change often, do yours? You know, web designers find that regular change often confuses visitors. Please just set upon a solid design and then leave it alone and deal with photography!

Time: October 10, 2008, 11:47 am

Elliot. The server was very slow for a while. I had the same slowness issues as you.

Site loads instantly now for me. (11:41)

The appearance / navigation etc. is very important on a commercial site, which is what this is. And commercial sites change constantly. Besides appearance, there are other factors to consider, such as SEO, and how users get to galleries and how they move through the galleries (funneling etc.)