BLACK & WHITE PHOTOGRAPHY BLOG

Black and White Photography of New York - Dave Beckerman

Ya Gotta Believe

28 September, 2008 (13:12)

cleon-jones-3484 Ya Gotta Believe

Cleon Jones after throwing the ceremonial opening pitch at yesterday’s game.

Hopefully Citibank is still around when Citifield opens next year.  I do hate that corporate branding crap.  By next year it may be called Chase Morgan Bailout field.  The government wants to restore our trust and confidence.  I want to restore my own trust in the Mets.

It was surprisingly emotional to watch SNY this morning with all the old-timers being interviewed; and memories flooding back.  I didn’t expect it to hit me.  But it did.  I can only hope that it isn’t a nail-biter and that these guys go out and score often and early.  But I don’t see that happening.

So although they’ve broken my heart many times - I have my fingers and toes crossed.  And if it does go on another day - I might go out and try and get in.  I suppose it would mean sleeping out all night in Flushing.

I had lost my faith - but yesterday it was almost restored.  So please guys - make me a believer again.  Bring me back to my early childhood faith when I’d listen to the Mets with a transistor radio under the covers.

No tags for this post.

« E-Mail Bag (50d II or 5D)

Amazon S3 »

Comments

Comment from Barrett
Time: September 28, 2008, 3:11 pm

Can I get an “Amen?” (I know, I’m an agnostic, but…)

Hadn’t thought much about the ramifications of Citi Field’s name-longevity, given the current upending in lower Manhattan, until you mentioned it here. Imagining the new ballfield with J. Pierpont Morgan’s imprimatur across it would burn my toast to a crisp. More appropriate for that other ballfield in the Bronx, I say.

And…LOVE that pic of Jones. Good shot, Dave!

- Barrett

Comment from Craig M. Nisnewitz
Time: September 28, 2008, 5:14 pm

Well, its over.
Next year at Citi Field.

Comment from dave
Time: September 28, 2008, 5:34 pm

That was painful. But I suppose it’s hard to win if the team isn’t hitting and the bullpen gives up runs when you’re down to the wire. Yesterday’s Santana game was the highlight of the season for me.

Comment from Lester
Time: September 28, 2008, 6:51 pm

The closing ceremony was really touching. Shea has been my refuge since opening day in 1964. It held the magic and promise that my real life often lacked. To see my old heroes again, Doc Gooden, Tom Seaver, Darryl Strawberry, Bud Harrelson, and Lenny Dykstra, just regular guys who could perform superhuman feats when you cheered loud enough for them, reminded me that baseball is bigger than the corporations that have co-opted the game. Tampa Bay has the smallest budget of any major league team and they beat out the Yankees for a playoff berth. Good for them! In the end it was appropriate the Mets lost today, making the final farewell ceremony a real farewell. As far as next year goes, “Let’s Go Mets!!!”

Comment from Craig M. Nisnewitz
Time: September 28, 2008, 6:58 pm

The only silver lining to all of this was that my wife, son and his friend went to yesterdays game. We have home game seats for saturday games. Here is the photo with Dan Uggla of the Marlins.

Comment from Barrett
Time: September 29, 2008, 12:43 am

And Dave was there, too. Alas, I couldn’t be. Today’s loss hit hard, but I’ve been in it for the long haul since ‘64 myself. Goodbye, Shea, hello, Citi (for now) Field.

Besides, if you think our season sucked, look what happened on the other side of the Triborough Bridge!

- Barrett

Comment from Chris Klug
Time: September 30, 2008, 8:22 pm

I have been a Met fan since Ron Hunt was the All-Star 2B in the ‘64 season. My earliest baseball memory is watching my grandfather sit in his living room and cheer a Duke Snider homer into the Polo Grounds RF seats some time in the ‘63 season. I became a Met fan the year after.

I live in Phoenix, AZ now, and have to endure this pain from afar.

On a positive note, I was in attendance at the final game of the ‘86 series. I was wearing my Seaver jersey, and after the game was done, I ran into another die-hard roaming the stands in his own Seaver jersey. We just hugged.

I was watching some games on the ‘net this season, and it was really weird to look out beyond the outfield and not see a big parking lot and body shops but instead this new-fangled stadium. Weird.