DAVE BECKERMAN PHOTOGRAPHY BLOG

Black and White Photography of New York - Dave Beckerman

Morning Light

19 September, 2008 (12:07)

morning-light-2 Morning Light

I don’t know how it is where you are, but in NYC the fear about the financial market is palpable.  I walk down the street and neighbors ask, “Did you hear anything about the market.”   It is perfectly reasonable to wonder, if some of these giants can go down, then who’s next?  Is my money safe?  Would it be better off under my mattress?  You start to wonder whether this is what it felt like just before the great depression.

Well, maybe there’ll be another WPA and I can get a job with them photographing former bankers.

Tags: ,

« RSS and Site

Night Collection »

Comments

Comment from Luke
Time: September 19, 2008, 1:38 pm

There isn’t that same fear up here, but everyone is deflated nonetheless. And in my neighbourhood, which is solidly blue-collar, if you mentioned the market, they’d assume you’re talking about the fruit & vegetable stands.

Comment from peter
Time: September 19, 2008, 3:39 pm

No stock market where I live now. But the fate of the USD is on everyone’s mind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6h_-_bQVR4

Comment from richo
Time: September 19, 2008, 4:45 pm

I am in complete different situation and reading about things happening over the ocean is for me reading things which are far away.

But I am certain that with images like this you do not have to be worried Dave.
You always pleased me with images like this. Perfect moment captured with excellent light! Reminds me you man in hat walking up the stairs which is hanging on my wall here.

Wish you nice weekend!
-richo-

Comment from Lester
Time: September 19, 2008, 5:56 pm

Not to worry, Dave. You simply have to apply for ICBM, Insolvency Crisis Bailout Money, provided by the U.S. Treasury to any individual who has risked and lost any money in a bank account, OTB account, shopping channel account, or B&H store. In legislation to be presented to Congress next week, funds will be fast-tracked through Pay Pal and you will not to have to stand in line downtown at the Federal Reserve with all the employees of Fannie, Freddie, and AIG. If you can prove entrepeneurial status, you can, in addition, apply for a FIZL (Fill in the Zeros Loan) of up to a quadrillion dollars (15 zeros). This is a wonderful post-capitalist world we live in now, Dave, so be happy, and don’t worry.

Time: September 19, 2008, 6:27 pm

Thanks Richo. It’s one of those infrared b&w shots where I just saw the light and background and waited for someone to cross into it. I like what seems to be an opposite shadow on the left and the mystery of the scene which is really very ordinary.

Pingback from Jason D. Moore Photography » Blog Archive » P&P Weekly: #93