Black and White Photography - Vol. II

Dave Beckerman Photo Blog (New York Photography)

Entries Comments

Secret Garden - Digital Infrared

21 July, 2008 (09:22)

ir-secret-garden-1905 Secret Garden - Digital Infrared

40d / 20mm lens / 87 filter

Okay - so there is a secret in the Secret Garden: getting a custom white balance off grass or leaves of a tree, i.e. something green that gives off IR. btw, the 87 filter for the 20mm Canon lens wasn’t cheap. And for a while there I was thinking about returning it. Glad I didn’t. This is a pretty cool setup. I can use the 40D as a regular camera, and so long as I have a tripod and am willing to shoot at 2 seconds or so, I can do infrared with it. Not bad.

I happen to have a voigtlander 28/35 mm viewfinder, which I might just stick in the hotshoe and use with the 20mm lens on the cropped sensor.  That should work pretty well for framing.

One other note. Last year, as some of you might remember I had a flash converted so that it only emits infrared light. It was a lot of fun to work with. Now the only thing about this current system is that I can’t use that flash with the 40D - I would have to have the camera converted by LifePixel in order for the flash to emit enough light to work with. What I think I’m going to do - is wait for the 50D - and then if I have the money get the 40D converted, though I need to do some testing just to make sure that the flash (Vivitar) fires with the 40D. Some quick tests that I did were sort of iffy. I think it fired in most modes but not in manual mode. Anyway - that’s for later, maybe around Christmas.

Tags: , ,

« Infrared Walkabout

Lake and San Remo Towers - IR »

Comments

Comment from Ed Richards
Time: July 21, 2008, 7:04 pm

You should get a Lee or Cokin holder and a 4×4 IR filter. It will save a lot over buying one for each lens size.

Comment from Aaron Beckerman
Time: July 21, 2008, 7:46 pm

I thought the pictures were beautiful. I didn’t see this as a camera shot but a view from being there, with the different shades of light, soliciting a close, sustained view.

Aaron

Comment from dave
Time: July 21, 2008, 8:17 pm

Ed - yes. I’ve been thinking about that; or something so that I can either swing the filter out easily to focus and frame; and then swing it back for the shot. With the Cokin / Lee filter can you just pull the filter out of the way and then push it back in without having to remove it completely. I don’t want to have to screw the filter in, adjust, unscrew it etc. etc.

I seem to remember Leica or Mamiya making that sort of thing but haven’t looked around for it yet.

P.S. Thanks to dad for his first commnet (see above).

Comment from Ed Richards
Time: July 22, 2008, 6:34 pm

With the Lee system, you can pull the filter out of the holder until the lens is clear, but that should leave plenty of the filter in the holder so that you do not have to take it all the way out - at least for lenses smaller than 100mm in diameter. The holder also clips on and off very quickly, so you could also leave the filter in place and take the holder off if you had a huge lens.

Comment from dave
Time: July 22, 2008, 7:00 pm

Ed - thanks! Sounds perfect for me. Will jot something here when I pick up the filter and holder. I don’t expect to be using any lenses greater than say 72mm (my 20mm wide-angle) and I wanted to use two other smaller lenses so this will be next on the olde shopping list. Best — DB

Comment from Ed Richards
Time: July 23, 2008, 5:29 pm

If you are staying at 72mm or under, you might be able to use Cokin P size filters and holder, just get the wide angle adapter. Saves some money and is much smaller to haul around.