Black and White Photography - Vol. II

Dave Beckerman Photo Blog (New York Photography)

Entries Comments

Times Square = Color

27 June, 2008 (22:26)

42nd Street - Sunset

42nd-street-sunset0789 Times Square = Color

Two - Times Square

two-times-square0770 Times Square = Color

Two Girls

timessquare-girls0718 Times Square = Color

I went to Times Square tonight to see if I could do some street stuff in color. I have to admit - that was a nice change.

Tough Look

guy-times-square0767 Times Square = Color

Banana Repub

two-couples-times-square0827 Times Square = Color

Tags:

« Shadows on Fifth (3 image montage)

Mississippi Delta - B »

Comments

Comment from Elliot
Time: June 28, 2008, 8:59 am

Some part of Wordpress is screwed up, sorry.

Look at your June archives (nothing else is up!) and you see some headers and some code snippets, but no images

Comment from Craig M. Nisnewitz
Time: June 28, 2008, 9:48 am

The color photos look great.

Comment from Peter
Time: June 28, 2008, 1:36 pm

Fantastic set! Did your knees wobble when you took that second shot?

Comment from dave
Time: June 28, 2008, 3:41 pm

Elliot - yeah. Just fixed it. You should see images and full posts on the archive pages now.

Comment from Teresa
Time: June 28, 2008, 4:30 pm

Tough guy with a polaroid in his hand.

Comment from Michael
Time: June 28, 2008, 6:06 pm

Dave, I always want to ask what they said after they gave you that look. Like the guy with the muscles? and the big guy by the pillar? Or do you, like Chuang Tzu’s butcher, carve reality at the joints? Anyway I guess you got home in one piece.

Comment from dave
Time: June 28, 2008, 7:23 pm

It’s very rare for anyone to say anything. Their picture is part of a sort of ballet (on my part) and generally at the instant that they realize they may have had their picture taken I’m already on to someone or something else. The only time I run into trouble (and this is also very rare) is with teenage boys (in a group) who might be gangstas but probably are just dressing the part. I had a bit of that yesterday - but I try to stay calm and if possible diffuse it with humor. In this case I told the leader that I loved his hat - and that was all I shot. After that he and his partner wanted to pose for me.

Actually - this is where you can really piss someone off. If they offer to pose and you don’t take their picture. That will really make them angry. So I guess that over the years you pick up “moves,” that work for your shooting style and it’s no different for shooting on the street.

To give it some perspective: I was short as a kid, and was always picked on by the larger boys. So I was always in fights. In high-school, it was just dangerous all the time. I was punched in the nose several times (my nose is still crooked). I was robbed at knife- and gun-point.

In the 20 years or so that I’ve been shooting strangers on the street I’ve never been so much as touched. For real physical danger - do photojournalism in Iraq.