April 2004
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30  
Mar   May

Previous / Next


E-MAIL


 3/3/05
 3/3/05
 3/3/05
 3/2/05
 3/2/05
 3/1/05
 3/1/05
 3/1/05
 3/1/05
 2/28/05
 2/28/05
 2/28/05
 2/28/05
 2/27/05
 2/27/05
 2/27/05
 2/27/05
 2/26/05
 2/26/05
 2/25/05
 2/25/05


Black and White Photography, New York: Thursday, April 29, 2004

One of the things they teach you, somewhere, when you are trying to debug something is to only change one variable at a time.  If you change two things and the problem is fixed, then you don't know what fixed it.  Both things, one of the things, or could it have been even more complex than that?  Those two things effected some other variable that you weren't even aware of.

Anyway, I did make that cardinal mistake because before the printer really began performing I changed several things:

1) Pulled some cat hair from underneath the inkhead with a q-tip.

2) Had recently changed the black ink to Eboni.

3) And had re-aligned the print head (actually only the color head).

So now I don't know what fixed the various problems I was having with micro-banding or the slight touch of graininess in certain areas - but they are gone.

Also - with this paper / printer / ink combination - removing the "pizza - ejector" wheels is an absolute must.  Since you are only doing one sheet at a time -- no way are you going to be stacking these things up - you don't need to risk the chance of the wheels tracking little marks across the face of the print.  Just one more thing that can't go wrong if the things are gone.

3:40:51 PM    

"Update- the renaissance wax was not very successful on ilford smooth pearl with MIS.
The ink began to smear even on prints that were several weeks old. Basically
you have to apply it with a soft cloth, I used a white t-shirt type cloth,
and even without wax I could make it smear if I did circular motion on a dry
print with a dry cloth. So the conclusion is either I'm laying down too much
ink, or applying too much pressure." - r.

You know what -- then I'm not even going to try it.  I'm having great results with the Lumijet spray.  I basically setup a milk crate on the fire-escape; place the print on it; mostly close the window with my arm sticking out with the Lumijet and spray.  What I'm going to do if it is raining, snowing, or night time - I don't know.  But the results of one coat with most images is fine in terms of bronzing, and if it is an especially contrasty image it may take two coats.  But the stuff also dries quickly, so for now -- I'm done with all the testing.

I still probably need to figure out what to call it -- but I'll flip a coin about that -- and then figure out whether to have a separate section on the site for these types of prints; or wedge them in with the current crop... you can't actually have one image and have it available in both formats because the tone of the print is different for the giclee vs. the darkroom...

Anyway... just rambling... I am going out to do my sister a big favor and move the car from one side of the street to the other - which is generally an hour-and-a-half operation on the Upper East Side where the car needs to be moved by 9 a.m. and then becomes legal again at 10:30 a.m. which means you need to get it back at 10 a.m. -- exactly where it started, so that you can sit in the car for the next half hour in case a meter person comes by at the last moment, and this means that it takes you exactly one-and-a-half hours to go nowhere.

8:47:55 AM    


Click here to visit the Radio UserLand website. © Copyright 2005 Dave Beckerman.
Last update: 3/3/2005; 12:42:17 PM. Click to see xml version of photo blog